Monday 30 November 2015

2016 Releases and Other Books I Want To Read Next Year

With the book releases slowly drying up the closer it gets to Christmas, and some of the big blockbuster novels having already been released already (I'm looking at you Winter, I'm getting you very soon!), it's only natural to look forward to next year and start planning what books are taking our fancy and breaking our bank balances. Having recently dropped the book blogging label, and deciding that it's probably time to dial it down on requesting books on NetGalley and through LoveReading unless I really really think I'll read them, my 2016 'need' list has rapidly decreased.

That being said, there's still quite a few books I really can't wait for and plan on making time and money available for, and alongside those, there's quite a few books I've had for a while now that I not only think need reading, but I really want to read them next year - I've been putting them off for far too long. I'd love to check out and read all of the following books, so who knows, maybe it's a challenge?..

2016 Releases


1. See How They Run (Embassy Row #2) by Ally Carter
Release Date:
12th January

Can we appreciate a moment how irritating the release day differences are between the UK and almost every other country around please? Still, there's no way I wasn't going to be reading See How They Run. I adored All Fall Down, and that cliff-hanger was just stupid in ways that I cannot handle, seriously, those kind should be illegal in every shape and form. I really want to see where the story goes and what Grace's past and troubles stir up for different characters. Oh, and I'm pretty excited about the boys, okay, very excited.

2. Glass Sword (Red Queen #2) by Victoria Aveyard
Release Date:
9th February

I definitely felt like one of very few people that actually thoroughly enjoyed Red Queen and genuinely couldn't wait for Glass Sword. When it came down to it, I thought the plot, the world, the betrayal, the characters and the god damn romance was super, and Glass Sword has been on my calendar ever since. I'm genuinely really excited to see Mare's character get tested even more, and really dive deeper into the mystery and the world surrounding the Reds and Silvers. It's gonna be goooood..

3. Half Lost (Half Bad #3 by Sally Green
Release Date:
29th March

I love that, every now again, my instinct speaks up and tells me to read a book, because if it hadn't, I wouldn't have read the awesome that was Half Bad, and then continued to rip out my own heart with Half Wild. I've been ever so excited for Half Lost since March of this year, and I confess, I'm so not happy with that cover choice, but bah, I'm not a cover designer, what do I know? Still, my levels of expectation are sky high, and I really can't wait to see how Green ends Nathan's story. Whatever happens, I'll be crying, I know it.

4. The Last Star (The 5th Wave #3) by Rick Yancey
Release Date:
24th May

I feel, torn on this book because deep, deep, deep down I know I'll read it. I know I'll check out the library and see it through to the end, even though I felt pretty indifferent by the end of The Infinite Sea. Maybe it's the concept I like, maybe it's the prospect of getting answers, maybe I'm just out to read at least one book that will surely punish me, but really, out of all the iffy series I read in the last year or two, this series is one I think I'll be finishing. Damned if I do, damned if I don't, stupid curiosity..

5. P.S. I Like You by Kasie West
Release Date:
26th July

I am currently yet to read both On The Fence (I own it) and The Fill-In Boyfriend (I will own it soon) but I just know I'll be getting a copy of P.S. I Like You at some point next year. Usually my best friend buys me Kasie's contemporary every Christmas, but next year, I may just shell out and get it myself instead so I can get in quick and not be behind every year by another book. As far as the premise goes, I'm sold.

6. Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Release Date:
8th November

So, let's cut a long story short. I really rather like Meyer's writing, and I especially love how her retellings don't feel like the original stories, that she wraps them around fantastical scenes and lovely imagery and gives her characters so much depth, it's almost impossible for me to find fault with her work, so colour me excited for Heartless. I've always struggled a bit with Alice retellings, I didn't take to White Rabbit Chronicles (ghost zombies, weird stuff) or to Splintered (that imagery and world, awesome, the read, not so much), but I'm hoping that by going down the Queen of Hearts route, I'll fair much better. *crosses fingers*

I know, that's not an awful lot of 2016 releases I'm really marking my calendar for next year, and that's really down to three reasons. The first is, hey, I didn't read much this year, so in terms of sequels, I really rather suck. The second is that I've sort of fallen off the radar in terms of new releases unless they're already in my mind (I'm guessing that comes when you stop 'book blogging' and primarily become a reader again). The last, and biggest reason is that there are a lot of books I really can't wait to read that have no release date yet, and I'd love to pray they come out next year, but really, I'm not holding out hope.

Alas, there is hope, because I have a lot of books I already own, have coming my way, and that I plan to buy pretty pronto that I want to read, and those books will keep me very very busy throughout 2016. I can bet your ass I won't manage to read all of the books sitting on my shelves unread next year, but I'll definitely be making a dent in the collection, and that's super important to me right now. I wanted to read those books, and it's time I did that, so here's a collection of books I have high hopes for reading, and really want to make time for.

1. Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer

Do not say anything my friends. Just, don't. I'll tell you why I haven't yet read this novel. It's because when my siblings asked me what I wanted for Christmas, rather than choosing a book I would be mildly excited about receiving, I chose a book I would over-the-moon crazy desperate to read so they would get the best reaction from me, and that book is Winter. Sure, I mean, I'm gutted I have to wait, but I've got less than 25 days to wait, and if it means my siblings are super happy after seeing me happy, the wait is worth it.

2. One the Fence AND The Fill-in Boyfriend AND Split Second by Kasie West

For somebody who claims to be a fan of Kasie West, I sure have some work to do in terms of, you know, actually reading her books. Pretty abysmal, right? I'm really just not all that sure why I haven't read them, I mean, I don't actually have The Fill-in Boyfriend just yet, but I've had the other two since LAST Christmas, why have I not read them yet. I'll be fixing that, don't you worry.

3. All In (The Naturals #3) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

You know what sucks? When UK publishers don't just publish the last book in a series and then wipe their hands of it. I wouldn't mind, but it happens to my favourite series all the time, first with Dark Star, and now with The Naturals, but never fear, I will be getting a copy, even if I need to buy it from the US and get it shipped my house, I'll do it. I need to see how this series ends, I want to see Cassie and the gang again, and I want to reread with all the feels. Dammit it, I just love this series, okay?..

4. Deception and Deliverance (The Couriers Daughter Chronicles #2 and #3) by C.J. Redwine

I've owned Deception for almost as long as I've owned Defiance, and yet, I still have yet to read it. Sure, I have an excuse for Deliverance, I don't own it yet, but Deception, nadah, no reason. Maybe I'm nervous and worried that it's been so long, I'll never love it again, maybe it's not that at all because I'm convinced I'll fall right back in love all over again. Whatever it is, it won't matter next year, because I'll be demolishing this series.

5. Boomerang by Noelle August

I know I will love Boomerang because I've actually read about three or four random pages and really liked them, but I also know it'll require a completely great mood because it's light and fluffy and has tension no book ever needs surrounding exe's and things, so I'm super excited because I already know I love the writing, I'm just weary. I do however know that if I really enjoyed Boomerang, I will definitely be checking out Rebound and Bounce. Can I also say how much I like that each of the titles is another word for when you jump into a romance right after another one? It's super clever.

6. The Deep End of the Sea by Heather Lyons AND The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

I received both of this books from my bestie last year and, low and behold, they sit, unread on my shelf still and I need to change that, pronto. I also like how they're pretty much opposites in terms of their popularity - I got put off by Holly Black's popularity but after Curse Workers, I know she can write snarky, creepy and intriguing very well, so I'm pretty excited to see what she brings to the table this time, while The Deep End of the Sea is it's total polar - hardly anyone knows about it. It's one of those books I stumbled upon myself when looking for Greek Retellings, and wow, I'm excited. It sounds raw and painful and sad and I love that it touches on Medusa as a victim rather than an evil character. These are definitely two I'm planning on getting to this year.

7. The Eternity Cure and The Forever Song, AND Call of the Forgotten by Julie Kagawa

I've had a rollercoaster ride with Kagawa so far in my reading. I really enjoyed Iron Fey, but The Immortal Rules was not a good fit for me, and Talon was so blah it was luke warm. So why the urge to read more? I already own them, and it'll be telling to see a) whether Blood of Eden improves in the following sequels, or whether it continues to be ugh for me, and b) to see whether Call of the Forgotten can reignite my love of Kagawa by taking me back to the world of Nevernever where magic and lovely ship set to destroy things.

9. Assassin's Blade AND Heir of Fire

I think I've been putting off getting anywhere with this series because I'm a) afraid of what might come about, b) not happy that the grapevine says my ships is sinking, fast, c) really not sure how I feel about the entire world getting in on this series, as in WHERE DID ALL THIS NEW CHARACTERS COME FROM?! and d) because argh, it's like, one of the biggest series around right now and what if I don't like where it's going? I'll be tossed out, I'll be given a dunce hat and told to sit in the corner and and and.. It's stressful okay? I like the series, I loved Crown of Midnight (because wow, that ship!) but ugh, I'm just nervous and worried. I will continue it, and based on what Heir of Fire does, I may or may not read Queen of Shadows..


It's hard to put together a general TBR of books I plan on reading next year, especially when I look at how messed up my reading has been this year, but having put this list together, I'm confident that I'll see it through, merely because it's part of my goals and I want to smash those babies to pieces. Maybe it won't be a year of reading like 2014 was, and maybe it'll be better than this year has been, it's all a matter of wait and see, but if next year is full of these books, and these books rock me to the core, then it'll be a great year of reading indeed.

What 2016 releases are you looking forward to most?

5 comments:

  1. Awk I am looking forward to so. many. books. MY TBR IS JUST RIDICULOUS. I even fell into the trap of adding 2017 books to read on goodreads. *facepalm* I NEED A TIME MACHINE AMANDA. HALP. I'm really looking forward to Heartless! :D I'm a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland, but I need it to be done right?! Like I hated The Looking Glass Wars, but Splintered is everything. <3 hehe I'm definitely looking forward to having my heart ripped out and stomped on my Half Lost because that isn't going to end well. I JUST KNOW IT. And also The Raven King. <3 And I reeeally hope Maggie Stiefvater announces she's writing a new series soon. :O Because I'll be terrified if she takes a break or something after the Raven Cycle finishes BECAUSE I NEED MAGGIE STIEFVATER BOOKS ENDLESS BOOKS IN MY LIFe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Marissa Meyer had a new series coming out! Thanks for the heads up on that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many books! LOL I hate having to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2016 is going to be an awesome year! Read those Kasie West contemporaries; they are some of my favorites. You should check out Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman when it releases next year. It's AMAZING. And oh my gosh, the Throne of Glass series is not what I expected at all, but I love it!

    I'm excited to read The Winner's Kiss and The Beauty of Darkness next year. They are going to be so epic. I'm really interested in Heartless as well AND I haven't red Winter yet either so I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete